Welcome to PC Gaming Academy
Hello, my name is Eric Rogers. Welcome to PC Gaming Academy, a site dedicated to helping homeschool parents guide their child into who he/she is meant to be through his/her love of video games and computers.
Where did PC Gaming Academy originate?
The idea for PC Gaming Academy grew out of my other site, Parenting Gamers. My goal with that site is to help parents connect with their kids through video games. I do quick reviews, write about different careers in the gaming industry, and try to help parents make smart buying decisions.
One of my main desires for Parenting Gamers is to give parents the tools they need to help their gamer grow into the person he/she is meant to be. I believe every person has something to offer the world, something that will make the world a better place while also speaking to that person’s heart. I also believe that video games can be a great way to discover and cultivate that something.
Last summer I had the opportunity to run a 3 hour course for some teenagers who’s parents wanted someone to teach them about PC gaming. I taught them about hardware, went over different game development platforms, and discussed the important PC gaming sites.
Teaching that course helped me realize I want to be able to do more for parents. While most homeschool parents want their child to study topics that interest him/her, no parent has the knowledge to teach their child every topic.
My goal here at PC Gaming Academy is to continue to support parents in any way I can while also offering online courses to give their student the teaching he/she needs in his/her area of interest.
Who am I?
Of course, the first, most obvious question you are probably asking is, who am I to provide this teaching?
- I am a professional computer programmer. I have a Computer Science degree and almost 20 years of real world programming experience.
- I am a PC Gamer. I have been playing PC games for over 25 years and building my own PCs for over 15 years.
- I am a homeschool dad. I understand the desires and struggles of a homeschool parent trying to give their child the best education and opportunities.
Why “PC” gaming?
Why not Xbox or PlayStation? What makes the PC special?
There have been flame wars going on for years about which gaming platform is the best. In my opinion, the PC is the best for a variety of reasons. However, that is not why I am focusing on it here.
Video games are a big reason why a lot of people get into computer programming. Someone will play an awesome game and then think, “I want to make something like that!” This leads to the PC and learning how to program or build art assets, which may lead to a job in the gaming industry but may also lead to a job in a different industry.
Whether your gamer plays on an Xbox One, PlayStation 4, or Nintendo Wii U, he/she will eventually gravitate to the PC to learn the skills to make those games.
But my kid is an artist, not a programmer!
While I have mentioned programming a lot in this post, I do not what you to think this site is only for kids interested in programming. I will teach you and your child about all the possible careers in and out of the gaming industry. These include, but are not limited to:
- Graphic Designer
- Game Designer
- Game Artist
- Sound Designer
- Story Writer
- Game Reviewer
- Let’s Player
- Professional Gamer
So what now?
- Sign-up for my email list. This is the best way to stay up-to-date with the goings on here. Plus, for signing up, you will receive a copy of my quick guide, "5 Things Your Student Can Do Today To Prepare For a Career in Video Game Development". You will find the sign-up form at the top of this page.
- Contact me. I would love to hear from you with any question or comments you might have.
- Follow me. You can find me on Facebook or Twitter.